Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2004/01/20

Strange pain in back of head, just below crown

Dear Doctor

For the last two weeks I've been waking up with a strange, dull (but not throbbing) pain - located where the top of the head starts to curve at the back. It feels as if I've just hit my head. The pain fades after 30 minutes or so, but if I touch that part of my head later in the day it feels tender and bruised.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't been hitting my head against the headboard! I stopped having a glass of wine in the evening, but that hasn't helped. I've been eating healthily and having plenty of water too. I feel a bit tired, but then we all do. Have you heard of this before? Any advice or information you could give me would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Amanda, it’s difficult to say what it is without being able to examine you, but it sounds like it might be due to muscle tension. You can try taking an anti-inflammatory like Voltaren® or Brexecam® for a couple of days, but if it doesn’t clear up the best would be to see your doctor and also have your eyes checked. Good luck.