Question
Posted by: Daniella | 2007/03/26

Strange experience whilst sleeping

Dear Cyberdoc, please help with some advise. I have not consulted with my doctor about this, because I have NO IDEA what this could be. At night, when I sleep, I will sometimes wake up, but my eyes will be closed and then my body starts to shake and I can't breathe or move my arms or legs. When I try to wake my husband, my arms will not move. At the same time I will hear a loud noise in my ears, almost like church bells ringing. Once I had it so bad, that I had an out of body experience. I am not on drugs or anything like that, but I do have low blood pressure, if that is of any use. Thanks

Hi Daniella
This may be sleep paralysis or a kind of epilepsy you are getting - not all are the "grand mal" or fit type - this could be a petit mal or a temporal lobe epilepsy. Just describe this to your GP as you did to me and ask him to refer you to a neurologist. Both conditions are treated by medication.
See http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9806

1
Posted by: Daniella | 2007/03/27

Thanks for the link and advice doctor.

Reply to Daniella