Question
Posted by: carry | 2008/01/09

strange bite, what was it?

On noticing that the dogs leg was swollen, we took it to the vet not really knowing what had caused this oedema. On consultation the vet administered anti histamine etc, and some painkillers, the swelling continued for 3 days further. At this point the bruising was extensively up the hind leg into the groin, and the oedema seemed to move further up the side of the body. Hence on day 4 having visited the vet just 2 days prior, where a fever was detected, now the swelling was still evident, but there was black blood oozing out of certain points of the leg, and specifically a spot where there was possibly a bite of some sort, at this point there was a certain amount of dehydration and listlessness, with a bit of salivating.
What was the culprit that did this? Please help, I have searched the internet for bites, spiders, snakes, scorpions, but nothing is really pointing to the sort of damage that took place in 4 days.
Please help.

It could have been a spider or snake bite. Some snake bites cause severe tissue damage. Some tick bites also cause damage to the skin. Has the lesion resolved now or has the black tissue died and "fallen out"?

3
Posted by: Claudia | 2008/11/11

A friend of mine got bitten by a spider about 2 or 3 months ago. The bite has now made a hole in her leg and it does not want to heal. She has used various medicine and herbal remedies, but nothing works. She also has gone to doctors but still nothing. It was a house spider they think that bit her. Is there anything that she can use to heal it. She works a lot by standing. Is this also maybe a problem. Please help, we don' t know what to do anymore.

Reply to Claudia
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/10

Yea, I tend to agree - if this was my dog, I'd be camping out on my vet's doorstep!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lisa | 2008/01/10

Id say take your dog back to the vet immediately. If not satisfied with an answer there get a second oppinion as soon as possible. Else you might try the Vitamin C solution, given in a post yesterday where they talked about snake bites.

Reply to Lisa