Question
Posted by: V | 2004/10/26

Strange behaviour

Dear Cybershrink
I’m exhibiting very strange behaviour lately. When I’m agitated I started pawing (I don’t know how to describe it otherwise) at my face. When I experience intrusive thoughts, I tend to say “no” out loud a couple of times to stop it. I don’t know how did it start or how long it has been going on, but it is very upsetting. It is bad enough if I do it when I’m my own, but catching myself doing it in public is terrible. When I realise that I'm doing it I stop immediately, but the damage has been done. If I go for psychotherapy, will that help? I’ve been diagnosed Bipolar.

Psychotherapy could indeed help, but best step first would be to see your psychiatrist who diagnosed you as Bipolar, and discuss this new symptom, for re-assessment and reconsideration off whatever other treatment you may be receiving. The intrusive thoughts, and now these partly involuntary movements don't sound typical of Bipolar Disorder, and may need a revision of diagnosis and treatment. Fortunately, while you may feel awfully embarrassed if you catch yourself doing this in public, other people probably either don't notice it at all, or only notice your distress.

1
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/26

Hi V
I don't know how to help you... what do you mean by pawing?
I have a habit of picking at my face and causing sores when I am under stress... I have to wear base to that I remember not to do it...

Reply to Inc