Question
Posted by: Confused | 2005/07/23

Straight men have sex with gay men?

Help me understand something. I read a while back that sometimes straight men have sex with gay men. Is thiis true? It doesn't make sense - surely, to be considered straight, men can't go around having gay sex?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Confused -

I'm about to confuse you more.

Yep, its true that straight men have sex with other men. Men have sex with men, irrespective of whether society labels them gay or whether they label themselves gay. This is an internationally-recognised phenomenon, which has been much researched - do a search for the acronym 'M.S.M.' on the Internet and you'll be amazed at how much information pops up. (M.S.M. stands for "Men who have Sex with Men".)

Many M.S.M. are married. Young men, old men, rich and poor men, African men and white men have sex with other men. They don't consider themselves gay and society considers them straight. This sex doesn't only occur in prisons or men-only institutions or in the military (often referred to as 'situational homosexuality') where men may not have access to women - it occurs everywhere, in all communities, cities and towns.