Question
Posted by: Breathe Easy | 2005/12/15

Stopped Smoking now immune system wrecked!!!

My wife and I are stuggling!!
We both quit smoking about a month ago and since then we have both been attacked by just about every flu symptom known to medical science! I'm ok as I have been living on Vit.C, garlic and berrocca like its air.I have had some symptoms but they dont last long.
My wife on the other hand has (although she too takes the immune boosters) the following: Bronchitis, strep throat, sever sinusitus, cold sores, swollen eyes, aching joints and general flu like symptoms. I could have shot the pharmicist yesterday when she prescribed Viral Guard as the best non-anti biotic alternative.
Please, for the love of all things holy: how can we kick this bug!!! I'm considering going to a doc but can't get off work as all collegues are off for the holidays at both our places of employment!!! (asshles)

Dear Breathe easy,
I have so much admiration for you both - it must have been really difficult to stop. The "flu symptoms" are actually part of the nicotine withdrawal syndrome. Nicotine addiction is a difficult thing to overcome due to the nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Due to their close resemblance to cold and flu symptoms, this condition is often referred to as the "quitter's flu." Although nicotine withdrawal symptoms can cause considerable discomfort and frustration, it does go away after a while.
Nicotine withdrawal symptoms
• irritability
• mood swings
• restlessness
• insomnia
• fatigue
• inability to concentrate
• sore throat
• cough
• congestion
• headache
• increased appetite
• constipation, gas, stomach pain
• dry mouth
• sore tongue/gums
• postnasal drip
• tightness in the chest
You could use something like nicorette chewinggum to alleviate the symptoms by giving your body a little bit of nicotine and then cutting down on it gradually. Did you stop very suddenly?
Remember that the cilia or small hairs in your respiratory tract that were paralysed by the smoke is now suddenly working overtime and even though it feels the opposite, you are actually getting your own defense mechanism into gear. Hang in there, take your supplements, drink lots of water and eat healthy to rid your body of toxins. It takes about 6 weeks to 2 months to be totally "washed out". Please don't get discouraged, on the long run it is going to be worth it.

1
Posted by: tampa | 2005/12/15

Your letter really scares me because I want to stop smoking beginning of the year after more than 40 years of constant smoking. I am very fit and my immune system is very well build up. Reason: I refuse to take any anti-biotics for more than 10 years (take them only when my life is in dager - two times in that time), see my doctor only every 2 - 3 years.
Someone else told me that he will not stop smoking because his body is so much accustomed that it will break down if it does not get the nicotine anymore. Maybe there is something true about that. If you get any other interesting info why you and your wife react like that I would appreciate receiving same from you. Have a nice Christmas, Regards, Helga Dietrich

Reply to tampa