Question
Posted by: chimney | 2003/12/17

stop smoking.hypnoses a option?

I have been smoking for 30years/40+ p.d.Tried everything.Is selfhypnoses a option & could you please rec abook.THANKYOU.

Dear Chimney,
First of all, hearty congratulations on deciding to stop smoking --- it's never too late to get health benefits from doing so. I haven't found a really good book dealing with ow to help yourself here, but explore on Amazon.com ( where there are good expert reviews of books, as well as reviews by ordfinary folks who bought them !). Hypnosis by a "hypnotherapist" --- there's no good evidence that this is effective, though it can be expensive ; and I find "hypnotherapists" too often make wild and excessive claims that can't be backed by good evidence.
Self-hypnosis is something one can easily learn, and even from books, as a way to calm and relax yourself deliberately, which can inded help to reduce the craving.
You say you have "tried everything", so I'm not sure what may not have been tried. The nicotine patches seem to help many eople if used prperly, because part of the problem is a nicotine addiction carefully encouraged by those who formulate the blend of cigarettes, and if one can separate a gradual withdrawal from the nicotine your system has got so used to, from the stopping of the smoking ( all that iddling with cigarettes, lighting them, etc.) it can be easier. Also, find something else to do with your hands when you feel anxious / nervous ( worry beads can be handy ).

1
Posted by: hypnoshrink | 2003/12/18

The "Synopsis of Psychiatry" (7th edition, published by Williams & Wilkens, page 859), one of the most widely referred to texts in modern psychiaty, states that "Hypnosis has been used, with varying degrees of success, to control obesity and substance-related disorders, such as alcohol abuse and nicotine dependance."

The "Handbook of Clinical Hypnosis" (Published by the American Psychological Association, page 580), states that "Because hypnosis-based treatments can be relatively brief and inexpensive, in terms of therapist & client involvement, they may represent an excellent entry-level treatment for smoking"

The South African Society for Clinical Hypnosis (SASCH), a division of the Psychological Society of South Africa (PsySSA), has for many years offerred intensive training for medical practitioners & psychologists in the effective & professionally appropriate use of clinical hypnosis in clinical practice. The efficacy of the training & it's use in clinical practice is evidenced by the fact that SASCH is one of the largest divisions of PsySSA AND has been nominated as the most active division of PsySSA for both 2002 & 2003!

Reply to hypnoshrink