Question
Posted by: Pixie | 2007/04/12

STOP SMOKING - GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT

Please help me? My hubby stopped smoking in Dec 06 after smoking for 30 years! He gained a lot of weight - specially around his belly. He drink quite a lot of alcohol over week ends, but eat normally - allthough big portions. I want to help him loose weight by following a portion eating plan. I know he also needs to exercise, but he is afraid to start as he is scared his heart will suffer - he never excercised before. Where do we start? Would you recommend us to seek profesional help with his diet etc?

Dear Pixie
I think that it would be a good idea if you and your hubby could see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess his present weight and diet and work out a weight loss diet for your hubby. I would also recommend that hubby has a medical checkup so that the dr can decide if he is allowed to exercise and also what type of exercise he can do (moderate or high-intensity). Once you have a weight loss diet in place and your hubby has received the go-ahead to exercise, you will see that he loses weight. Despite this weight gain, the fact that he has stopped smoking is a great achievement and will benefit his health a great deal.

1

The best place to start would be to start eating right as your diet plays a huge part. Get more advise on this from a dietitian or your docotor. The best would also be to stop drinking especially if your husband drinks a lot of beer as this contains yeast which will also be a cause of gaining weight. Then exercise yes thats always a great idea. But start slowly even if he walks for 10 min or around the block, especially if he has never exercised before. Good luck