Question
Posted by: Prilly | 2004/11/16

stop smoking

Hi all, I am trying to fall pregnant, and had an insimination done yesterday, and having one done today. My problem is that I smoke. I have to give up for the sake of my pregnancy and child. It is just so difficult. The craving and the habit is very hard to break. anyone out there know how to make it more bearable.

See a good psychiatrist locally, as there are programmes and products which can make this easier to do. Good advice all round, but especially attend to Sparrow's point about checking this out with your gynae, as some of the nicotine products like Nicorettes and patches, which can otherwise help a lot, may not be adviseable during pregnancy, for similar reasons to why smoking in pregnancy is inadviseable.

3
Posted by: sparrow | 2004/11/16

yebo Prilly,
I gave up 8 weeks ago. Just decided one Thursday morning that I was really stuffing up my health. Had some help though. Nicorettes. Costs about R34 for 30 little gums and i use 3 a day. Doc said it's far better than smoking. shaun's advice is sound though. If you can do it cold turkey it's still the best way. And guess what, it's not so difficult to do once you've decided to quit. Speak to your Doc about the effect of Nicorettes on your little one before you decide to take it though. Hope you have a beautiful baby

Reply to sparrow
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/16

I have been a smoker for 17 years... I have had 3 kids and I have not smoked during any of my pregnancies. Giving up is mind over matter... when you want something bad enough and you are selfless enough to put your own needs aside, then you will have no problem quitting while you are pregnant. It is not as difficult as it seems... you can always console yourself that you will have another puff once the baby is born...
good luck

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/16

Hi Prilly,

Some women just automatically give up smoking when pregnant. But there are a few things you can try...
When smoking don't smoke the whole cigarette. Throw it away before it comes to the end. Slowly get used to throwing it away quicker...until lighting up is even a bother.
Try find something else to substitute the habit of smoking.
Try reduce the timing of your smoking. Like maybe stick to a certain time of smoking. Slowly increase your length of time.
Keep your hands busy.
Try initially not to be around people that smoke.
When thinking of lighting up, make an effort of doing something that really takes your attention off a cigarette.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope they help a bit. Smoking is more often just a habit & the hardest is to break the habit. Good luck Prilly.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun