Question
Posted by: MB | 2004/09/29

stop gym during fisio treatment for muscle spasms???

I've been following a strict exercise programme(gym - cardio and strength) for the past 6 weeks for 6 days a week with excellent results - lost a number of cm's and 3% body fat.

Prior to embarking on this routine, I've experienced back and neck spasm, mailnly due to work related stress. At that time I went to gym 3 times a week.

A week ago I went to a fisio whom I've since seen twice - she's advised me that for the duration of the treatment, I should stop gym because there is a lot of swelling and exercise might prolong and encourage the pain and discomfort that I feel.

PROBLEM: I am afraid that should I not exercise for a week or two, I'm instantly going to gain kg's and cm's and fat and I CANT afford that. I've worked to hard and come too far!!!

Am I at risk of permanent injury should I exercise moderately during this time? Would you also advise that i do not exercise and if so, how long can i risk doing nothing before I double in size?

HI MB

I think that you needn't panic too much about a week or two. Yes it is true that in general, it's easier to put on weight, and to lose fitness than it is to lose weight or improve fitness, so it's not always so fair, that it can take such work to get results but that they can disappear in half the time.

However, I don't think that a week or even two weeks is going to cause such massive changes that you are going to undo all your good work. You may find that you do gain a little, but in another two weeks, you will be able to get back to where you are now. The alternative, if I can paint a picture for you, is that you continue to exercise, and if your physio is right, then you break down and pick up a serious injury. This injury might stop you from exercising for months, not weeks, and then you will gain weight and lose a lot more. SO, I think that taking two weeks off now (which you will retrieve in a week or two) is the better option by far.

Don't panic, you won't double in size, you won't lose too much, but just be patient and realise that your time scale is months, not weeks or days.