Question
Posted by: At wits end | 2004/02/12

Stop alcohol abuse

I have heard of a pill which is sometimes given to alcoholics which makes them sick if they drink. What is the name of this drug, and if I slip one into my husband's coffee, will he taste it. I am desparate as his drinking is destroying our marriage and I can't take much more of this.

Dear At Wits End,
I understand your frustration, but these pills don't work that way. There is one type called Antabuse, which has to be taken absolutely regularly, and is only available with a prescription, and has to be used very carefully, as the side-effects can be dangerous in some circumstances ; and even then they only work in some people, if the alcoholic is being totally cooperative, and takes them absolutely regularly ( or there is also an injectable form). And he has to know he's on it, not only for legal and ethical reasons, but for it to work --- he has to choose to take and and stay on it.
If he doesn't accept that he has alcohlism and needs to work to get it under control, there's no way he can be cured or controlled by remote control. There's another newer drug which works by removing most of the pleasure which an alcoholic gets from drinking, but it has the same limitations.
Speak with AA and their services for spouses and families of alcoholics.

2
Posted by: lady nina | 2004/02/12

hi there

noothing will work unless he wants 2

sorry but only he can make the difference
the only thing you can do is protect yourself and kids

take care

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Sandra | 2004/02/12

Not sure what the pills name is, but it's not a sure factor that they will stop. Sometime it will make them sick, otherwise it has no effect at all! Think you need a prescription for this as well!

Reply to Sandra