Question
Posted by: Worried | 2005/11/30

Stool color of baby

my baby boy is ten weeks old, and his stools are a very green color for the last 3-4 weeks. (it is not runny - just a bit lose). He has about one poo nappy a day. I took him to the pediatrition who said it is the iron in the milk (Nan 1) he was born at 36 weeks and weighed 2.6 kg's. I have read an article to say that Liver problems can cause the green color in his stool. Is this true? someone else said that winds in his tummy may also cause the green color. (he has got a lot of "suur" - and burpes up a little of his formula every now and again. (I am giving some baby Gaviscon once a day)
Your advise would be appreciated.

Worried, the colour of the stools per se is nothing to worry about. It is when other symptoms like jaundice appear that you should worry. At this stage the green colour might be due to the formula or some bile, but if he is otherwise healthy and happy you don’t need to be worried about it. Good luck.