Question
Posted by: Rocky. | 2007/11/29

Stones.

Hi Doc, Could you please tell me what causes kidney stones, also gaul bladder stones? Is diet a factor? I thank you.

Dear Rocky

Gall stones form because the gall bladder does not work correctly and it can also be due to a high fat containing diet.

We don't always know why some people get kidney stones easier than others. Genetics play a role, as someone with a family history of kidney stones could be more prone to develop stones. Urinary tract infections, abnormal anatomy of the kidney ( like polycystic kidneys) and over active parathyroid glands can also cause stones.
Some rare diseases that can cause stones include renal tubular acidosis, Cystinuria, hypercalciuria and hyperoxaluria. High uric acid in the blood, gout, excess intake of vitamin D, chronic bowel inflammation diseases and blockage of the urinary tract can also be risks. Certain medications like diuretics (water pills) and calcium-based antacids may increase the risk of forming kidney stones by increasing the amount of calcium in the urine. The protease inhibitor indinavir, a medicine used to treat HIV infection, may also cause kidney stones.

1
Posted by: Rocky. | 2007/12/01

Hi Doctor, Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

Reply to Rocky.