Question
Posted by: fee | 2004/11/09

stomach woes

Hi, i hope i am asking the right doc:

No matter what i do i can't shed weight from my belly! i am very active and have been sporty my whole life and I am now a dancer for a living...which means i HAVE to look good all the time. I am 19 female and i'm 5"2. Even though I am slim and well toned, my stomach is podgy- but it is not soft to the touch. I don't drink, i'm a vegetarian and I watch what I eat. My stomach feels hard and bloated all the time and it is giving me a sore back. Is it something i'm eating? Is there something I could eat or drink to make my stomach flatter?

Dear Fee
It is possible that you may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome which could cause bloating, but there are other conditions which can cause this type of problem, so it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to obtain a diagnosis (i.e. IBS, water retention, swelling related to female hormone levels, etc). Once we have a diagnosis we can see what dietary changes are required.