Question
Posted by: Impatient | 2005/12/05

Stomach Virus?

Hey Doc

Can you tell me if there is a stomach bug going around Jo'burg?
It started last Sunday - I had a runny tummy every morning for 5 days. I had no nausea but I had headaches and with extreme light head/ dizziness. My BP is naturally very low. My question is this - how long is it going to last? My head is still fuzzy and dizzy, I am very weak and tired. I went to the doc last wednesday who booked me off for Thursday - I had been off since the Monday.

She tested my Urine as I had a very bad bladder infection about 6 weeks ago and I was tested for pregnancy too.

I HATE being sick and inactive and would like to know if there is a bug going around that lasts so long or could it be something more?

Dear Impatient,
I don't know if you have a bug doing your rounds, but for a diarrhoea to go on for 5 days is a bit long and you may be a bit dehydrated. Please go back to your doc and take a stool sample with in an empty medicine bottle for her/him to send away. You probably need an antibiotic that will zap this specific germ!