Question
Posted by: Concerned. | 2007/08/04

Stomach problems (I think)

I have a long standing tummy problem (about two years) where my tummy just kept working all the time (about 15 times a night). I had all the tests and nothing significant came up (they couldn't find anything). I've managed to get it under control (to about two/three times a day), but it hasn't been the same since. Now, I have noticed small spots of blood in my vaginal discharge, but only when I have a bowel movement. I have constant lower tummy ache - like a period pain. Been to the gynae, he says all is well. I also have intermittent pain on my lower right hand side - a sharp pain (just underneath my appendix scar). I've also just gone off the pill after about 7 yrs. Is this anything to worry about? Other than that, I don't feel particularly ill - just tired, occassionally.

Dear Concerned
If you say you had all the tests and they couldnt find anything, have you been to a gastro enterologist and did you have an examination under anaesthetic too ( colonoscopy?) Did the gyne do a sonar as well? You could be tired because you lose a lot of salts in the diarrhoea.
Causes of chronic diarrhoea:See http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/diarrhoea.htm

As you can see in the article below the tests for chronic diarrhoea can be very intensive and include other organs like thyroid, pancreas and hormones - see figure one in this article ( bit technical I know..)http://gut.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/52/suppl_5/v1.pdf

If all other causes are excluded, one should maybe also check for endometriosis causing the lower tummy ache.