Question
Posted by: Dee | 2003/01/07

Stomach problem when jogging

Hi Doc,

Recently I started jogging. My problem is few hours after jogging I have a running stomach. This has happened for three times. Is this normal or is there something wrong about me.

Hi Dee

This is known as Runner's trots and is fairly common and happens because of the constant pressure of the contents of your stomach and intestines on the rectum, which decreases the transit time of food and waste in your digestive system. There are certain foods which may aggravate the problem i.e some people have an intolerance to dairy products in excess. Also high fibre foods could aggravate the situation.
Please write to Dietdoc for advice as to what foods you should avoid when running, but don't give up on the running! - It is a great form of exercise.