Question
Posted by: mtb | 2005/12/05

Stomach pain

I am a keen cyclist and cover about 100km a week. The last 6 months after every cycle i get stomach pain , bloating , the feeling of diarrhoea but only mucas comes out when I go to the toilet. It last for about 2 day then get less intense but is in the background for the rest of the time. Thi is causing havoc with my cycling.

Hi Mtb

The first thing that comes to mind is something that you are eating. It may be completely unrelated to cycling too, you know. It could be that it's the cycling that brings out this pain, but the real cause is somewhere in your diet a day or hours before you ride. Certainly, I have not heard of cycling related stomach problems - always diet related, with cycling as the catalyst, but it's the diet that's at fault. The other option is that you may have some sort of stomach problem, chronically. I would suggest that if you cannot find anything in your diet, then have this seen to by a doctor. I'm certainly not a doctor, but some sort of pathology might explain this if it's not dietary.