Question
Posted by: Ms T | 2004/11/12

STOMACH, HIP AND INNER THIGH EXERCISES

Good-day Doc

Thanks for the advise, the weight has started coming off at a steady pace after initial muscle gain - I have been going to gym for about 4mths and have positive results, however, as rockhard as my thighs are my hips and inner thighs do not seem to firm-up. Is there a website or more effective exercise that one can do besides the usual lungs etc. My stomach shows muscle on either side but the areas below and above the bellybutton are not firming up - how much and what type of crunches does one have to do to get Janet Jackson abs.

Hi Ms T

This further improvement will take time, and maybe a lot more of it. What you have done so far is really great, but now you are in the area where you really have to try to undo a natural phenomenon - the body just has these areas where you tend to deposit fat more than others. For men, it's the stomach usually, for women, it's the hips and thighs. What you need to do to combat this is regular cardiovascular exercise, because you have to aim for overall fat burning, because you can't isolate. What will happen with time is that the definition of the muscle in these areas will improve and this will create the appearance of having less fat there, but at the end of the day, you must focus on cardio training. You can do crunches till you are blue in the face, all kinds, but seeing nothing unless you are combining it with regular cardio. So, keep up what you are doing, and maybe add to the range of weight training you are doing. For example, if you are currently doing the supercircuit, you will be doing crunches, and maybe all you need to do is get a 5 kg weight and hold it to your chest during the crunches. Also, if you are not doing things like leg extensions and hamstring curls, add those in as well, but never lose sight of the fact that the cardio is the key. One thing that may help with cardio is just making the intensity a little higher. I'm not saying you should go out and push so hard you fall over at the end of every session, but if you can gradually increase the intensity, even if it is just for a 10 minutes period during the middle of a session, then you start to see some changes in tone and definition. At the end of the day, it comes down to accumulating training, over years, and time. You are on the right track, you just need to keep going.