Question
Posted by: Concerned re stomach | 2005/12/13

Stomach gas

Good day

Since last year, i have started to develop extreme gas (observed a while after meals). Could this be largerly due to continued work stress? I have changed my diet the last three months and excluded suger and fats - no change. Stomach is otherwise working well and no pain or cramps Do i need to go for scan or x-ray for possbile obstruction/stoppage or other problem?

Dear Concerned stomach,
Gas is caused by fermentation in your bowels, it could be because you have a slow transit or because you don't have enough "good bacteria" in your bowels. You will vomit or not have bowel motions if you had obstruction. Try taking Intestiflora or similar product 3 times a day, cut down on refined starches ( bread especially), exclude sugar and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Stress can definitely cause bowel symptoms like gas, cramps or abdominal bloating.