Question
Posted by: Juice | 2006/07/17

stomach fat

HI there, my stomach I had a ceaserian section for the birth of my child, the old fashioned one from the belly button down my stomach has never regained its normal size, I do sit-ups everyday, but only the upper part of the stomach up from my belly button gets a work-out not underneath, its beggining to sag and I'm afriad I'm too young for this at 26, but I'm guessing it might me the muscelles in my lower abdomen where cut through so they will never be able to tighten again, if this is so, does this mean my only hope is an operation to remove the fat and tighten the muscelles. I' have recently joined a gym everything is going away except the stomach...please help

Hi Juice

It may be that the operation has affected the muscles, certainly, although I will say that the problem here is not necessarily that the muscles are not tight, but rather that there is an accumulation of fat around the abdomen. This is extremely common - just have a quick look on this forum, every fourth question is related to something similar and so you are not alone. The key now is to do the training that will help reduce body fat, and this means doing cardio training, not situps. You can do situps until you are red in the face and nothing will happen if you do not target fat reduction. Therefore, my advice is to check out the Fitness page of this site, click on Programmes and then choose one of the Shape Up for Summer programmes, which have a good spread of cardio and resistance training exercises, because some situps are definitely still important.

Lastly, check your diet, this is absolutely vital and I suggest seeing a dietician about it if possible, to make sure you are eating well too.

1
Posted by: Bella | 2006/07/19

Hi there, I am 29 years old and play squash forever. my kraakbeen in my regterknie maak snaakse geluidjies en na my squash game is my knie partykeer seer. Nie ernstig nie, maar veral as ek trappe afklim dan is dit seer. Ek wil net weet of daar enige goeie oefening is wat ek vir my knie kan doen om te keer dat ek die kraakbeen verder beskadig of dalk minder pyn het na die tyd. Baie baie dankie!!

Reply to Bella