Question
Posted by: FIONA | 2003/02/06

STOMACH ACHE

My son of 17, who was diagnosed as having a spastic colon when he was 12, suffers very badly with stomach ache after doing exercise. He has been attending soccer training for the last couple of weeks and after every training session, suffers terribly with stomach cramps which make him feel sick. What do you suggest? Has it got anything to do with the colon problem or is it something else?

Fiona, I doubt that it has something to do with his colon. It might be that he’s just unfit or that he is swallowing air due to some other reason. It might also be that he has a hiatus hernia, but then one would expect symptoms not just after exercise. The best would probably be to let your doctor have a look and if he can’t find anything wrong, to see a gastroenterologist. Good luck.