Question
Posted by: Pixie | 2003/03/20

STOMACH

I would like your opinion : since my 18th birthday I have suffered from severe stomach cramps, nausea as well and fainting. When I was young it was a "once in a while" occurrence, but lately (I am now 54) it has re-occurred more frequently. I had an attack in Nov 2002 and another, for example, in March 2003.

There is not a year that passes where I don't have this extremely painful attack, but I am concerned with the short span of time in which it now re-occurs.

I have gone for colonoscopies, tests, etc, (although I haven't had one done for quite awhile now) and the diagnosis have differed from dr. to dr. One says I have an ulcerative colon, whilst yet another spoke of a "spastic colon".
I have to add that I also have blood in my stool during these attacks of diarrhea, nausea, and extremely severe cramps. The cramps are so painful and severe that I faint most of the time.

My question is - what is the difference between spastic colon and ulcerative colon, and would you recommend I go for regular colonoscopies, seeing it is re-occurring much more frequently than in the past?

Thanks for any advice,

Pixie, I doubt that it is a spastic colon a spastic colon isn’t associated with bloody diarrhoea. It sounds like you might have one of the inflammatory bowel diseases – ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease. Mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll mail you the address of a website I helped to write. It will answer most of your questions and please feel free to contact me again on this page if you have more questions. Good luck.