Question
Posted by: peter | 2007/04/26

stilnox

Since and during my wife's cancer illness I used stilnox to sleep at night. After she passed away four months ago I'm still dependent on it to be able to sleep. How do you get off stinox?

Dear Peter
Although it is not supposed to be habit forming, one can become "dependent" on it psycologically and I believe physically as well. I'll suggest you try to cut down on the dose and add a herbal sedative like Biral, Rescue remedy until you can stop altogether. But don't you think you are still recovering from the trauma of her illness and death? - it can take up to a year - don't be too hard on yourself.

1
Posted by: LP | 2007/04/26

Hi Peter

I am so sorry to to hear about your wife! I was on Stilnox for 6 months after I ended a bad relationship. This was a while ago though.

The thing is this: are you ready to go off the Stilnox? do you feel that you'll be able to sleep without using it?

I think (and have been advised by my doctor) that you should use it as long as you need it. You go off the Stilnox in the following way:

If you have taken one a night every night, start taking 1/2 every night for 10 days. The you take 1/4 for 10 days.

You'll be fine after doing exactly that - trust me! I was so sure I'm hooked on Stilnox for eternity, though I won't ever be able to sleep without it. But if you follow the steps above - you'll be fine.

Just please only start going off them when you are ready.

Good Luck!

Reply to LP