Question
Posted by: H2O | 2007/04/02

Still vs. Sparkling

Hi Doc,

Help me out here. I have heard allot of comments made about how healthy some drinks are. Can you assist in telling me how healthy the flavoured sparkling water drinks are? Are they as bad as Coke? or should normal old still water still be the ONLY drink?

Cheers!

Dear H2O
In my opinion we should all still be drinking tap water (boiled and cooled if you live in an area where the tap or ground water is suspect). There is no reason why people in SA need to drink water that has been bottled! The flavoured sparkling water consist of :water (either derived from a spring which must then be stated on the bottle, or from the municipal water supply); flavourants; artificial sweeteners; carbon dioxide). So basically these waters are not harmful, but I cannot understand why it is necessary to drink them. They cost much more than tap water and their nutritive content is practically zero. Compared to sugar-sweetened cola drinks, bottled water has a much lower energy content (a few kJ) vs about 167 kJ/100 ml. So if you are averse to tap water and want to lose weight, then I suppose sparkling bottled water could fulfill a need, but otherwise just drink tap water.

1
Posted by: Beauty | 2007/04/13

Doc,

Are you saying FLAVOURED SPARKLING WATER is ideal for loosing wheight?

Reply to Beauty