Question
Posted by: HELPLESS | 2005/07/01

STILL NO SIGN OF BABY ON SONAR BUT TESTS POSITIVE

Since i found out from the doctor that i was pregnant, i was told the baby was not clear yet but tests proved i was pregnant. After 2 weeks i went again to the same doctor and i was told still he could not see the baby. How long should i wait for the baby to appear on the sonar because i keep on waisting my cash for nothing. The doctor keeps on telling me to come back after 2 weeks. How long do i need to wait b4 i can start regular check ups?

The baby should be seen from 6 weeks.

13
Posted by: Nix | 2005/07/01

I had a scan every week from 6 weeks to 12 weeks and they were all internal. I think you get a clearer picture early on with an internal scan. My first tummy scan was at 16 weeks.

I really suggest you have quantitative BHCG blood tests 48 hours apart. Your HCG levels rise daily in pregnancy and should double every 48 hours. That will tell you if your pregnancy is healthy and baby is fine.

All the best
Nix

Reply to Nix
Posted by: YellowBear | 2005/07/01

my first scan was external and it was at 5 weeks, we saw a little black bean. then i had another at 8 w 2 days and we saw a tiny baby with a heartbeat

Reply to YellowBear
Posted by: Sanet | 2005/07/01

The first scan is definitely internal. My first gynea visit was at 10 weeks, only from the second one she did external scan.

Reply to Sanet
Posted by: Kym | 2005/07/01

I had an external scan and you could see baby plus see the heart beat and I was only 6 weeks.

It also depends if you have a large amount of scare tissue and where to which scan would be best.

I would change gynaes exspecially if you have lost confidence in the one you are going to.

Good Luck

Reply to Kym
Posted by: L | 2005/07/01

I would think the internal scan, I don't really know. Well that's what I had and although the heart beat was not recorded we could see the heart movement and hear it as well at only 7 weeks.

Reply to L
Posted by: Gemini* | 2005/07/01

I'm just wondering - your first scan, should it be an internal or tummy scan??? Which one is more accurate?

Reply to Gemini*
Posted by: L | 2005/07/01

I forgot to tell you, what really helped me put my mind at ease was to go and do a bHCG blood test and then repeat it a few days later. Your HCG count is supposed to double every 48 hours and if this happens you can except the pregnancy is progressing.

Reply to L
Posted by: L | 2005/07/01

Did he do an internal scan or on your tummy? We could only see something at 7 weeks and baby was 10,8mm. At 5,5 weeks there was a little black dot but very small, couldn't see anything really. You should see something with your next visit in 2 weeks.

Reply to L
Posted by: YellowBear | 2005/07/01

Change doctors asap, if you are eight weeks, you should definitely be able to see baby and heartbeat!!

this doctor does not seem to know what he is doing!! how can he say it will show as time goes on??? some doctors really make me mad!

Reply to YellowBear
Posted by: Gemini* | 2005/07/01

The heartbeat can only be detected from 6 weeks. You r gynae should have told you that. How many weeks are you? Has he told you, he should of. Maybe you need to change gynae's.

Reply to Gemini*
Posted by: HELPLESS | 2005/07/01

The second time i went was on the 17th June 2005 he did a blood test and said it about 6 weeks (when calculating it bring it to 8 weeks now) but on the sonar he said it will show as time goes on. I dont think this doctor knows what he is doing. That is why in my previous mail i was worried he just gave me vomifene tablets and did not even indicate how long i should take them. Should i change doctors?

Reply to HELPLESS
Posted by: Metsi | 2005/07/01

How many weeks are you? I think by 6 weeks they can detect the hert beat. Have you taken the blood test? Are your beta going up? If not i will advise you to change gynae.

Best of luck, keep us updated

Reply to Metsi
Posted by: L | 2005/07/01

How many weeks are you pregnant now?

Reply to L