Question
Posted by: Nigel | 2005/11/18

Stiffness in fingers

I am experiencing stiffness in my right hand fingers in the morning and two of my finger joints are painful when I press it.

Expert ImageArchive

Nigel, it sounds like a form of arthritis or at least inflammation, but i can’t tell you what it is without examining you first. It also depends on how old you are – the older you are the more likely it is that you’re starting with osteoarthritis. If you’re interested in something I wrote on osteoarthritis a while ago, you welcome to mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za for a copy.
Anyway, there is no harm in taking a long-acting anti-inflammatory like Coxflam® on a daily basis for a week to ten days and see what happens. If the stiffness disappears, keep on taking it for another 3 days or so to make sure that it doesn’t return. If it stays away after that, you don’t have to worry, but if it returns the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.