Question
Posted by: L | 2008/01/29

Stiff spine

Hi Ross

Hope you can give me a bit of clarity, please.

I'm a very active woman. I do karate, pilates and a lot of Walking. Enter every race that is on!!! In the beginning of December I received a anti-inflamatory injection. I feel that the nurse gave it to high up in my back. She injected it in line with my hips. Since then I struggle with low back pain. I wasn't very active during December and only started this week-end to be more active. Since I did a 10km walk this Saturday, my spine is so stiff it's actually sore to breath out. Today I went to Pilates, and afterwards, my spine was so sore it was even too sore to breath out. Sometimes when I turn wrong, I get this crampy stitch pain in the area of the injection. I still can't touch the area where the injection went in. Do you think the nurse by accident hurt something when she injected me? The injection was for something else than sore joints or muscles. Is there maybe something I can do about it? Struggle to sleep at night.

Thanks for all your advise!!!

Hi L

Sorry to hear your story - that is a real frustration, when treatment becomes the source of a problem!

Difficult to know what it is - injections can certainly cause pain, because they bruise or damage muscle/nerves. Interesting that it has lasted this long though - I'm assuming it began right after the injection and has just continued to get worse and worse? Sometimes (and I stand corrected on this), you get mineral deposits at the site of an injection, and that could be a source of pain. Again, that's a medical evaluation and opinion you'd need to seek.

So while I would understand your hesitance to go back to a doctor for further treatment, I think that's what you need to do - see what a doctor feels about this on evaluation.