Question
Posted by: LoLo | 2005/07/28

Stiff Pain in the neck

I recently had the flu ad was treated accordingly. However during this time my neck started to get quite painful and I had difficultly moving my neck without pain and this in turn gave me a headache. My GP intially diagnosed my with muscle tension and had injected my neck at different spots with Voltaren. This helped for a day and the pain was back. I went to him again and he then diagnosed viral encafilitius (spelling). Could you please tell me what is this. I have no flu like symptoms now, no fever, no nausea, no dizzeness, it is just that my neck still hurts when I try to move it which in turn hurts my head. The doc now suggested I have a lumbar puncher to detemine if it is meiningitis. I think this is quite extreme solution as I dont feel ill other than the painful neck. What are the possiblities of this being a pinched nerve and if so, how does one test for this.

I am currenlty taking 2 stil pain 3 x a day, Valium at night and applying Voltaren gel. If I do not take the pain killers then my neck hurts. I think this treatment is actually not resolving the problem long term rather just temporary relief.

What do you suggest

Please help

Lolo, viral encephalitis is when the brain swells due to a viral infection. This will cause severe headaches and maybe pain in the neck (not the other way around). The most common symptoms of meningitis are high fever, chills, severe headache and a stiff neck (unable to touch chin to chest). It doesn’t sound like these are your symptoms, so I think meningitis will have to move to a spot lower down the list of potential causes.
I think that a pinched nerve is also a possibility, but I can’t make a diagnosis without being able to examine you first. The best would be to get a second opinion and make sure. Good luck.