Question
Posted by: Bill | 2006/07/18

Stiff neck

I have always suffered from time to time of a stiff neck caused by the position I sleep, on my stomach with my head turned to either side (change positions during the night).

In May I went away for the weekend, and slept on a very hard pillow. By the end of the weekend my neck was very stiff and I had to go on a course of anti-inflammotories, which helped for a while. It's now halh way through July, and I still have a stiff neck when I turn it towards either sholder. If I have a sudden movement, then it sends a shock of pain down my neck.

My question is, should I have it attended to eg physio, or continue taking anti inflam/spasm tablets. I know the stiffness is related to the way I sleep, but the stiff neck is geeting beyond a joke, and my wife says I must have it attended to.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Medication alone may only serve to relieve your symptoms. Your sleeping habits are wrong and you definitely need advice and care from an expert in this field - such as a chiropractor. A visco-lastic pillow will probably be your best "sleeping partner" - and DO NOT SLEEP on your stomach !!! On your side. or on your back !!!