Question
Posted by: Louise | 2004/03/04

stiff legs

i am an active 39 yr old sportsperson (running, swimming, canoeing) and have naturally tight, strong muscles. Can remember never being as flexible as my friends at school, albeit faster and stronger. Would like to start yoga now, bu there is NO WAY I will ever be able to sit in a lotus position....I find attempting it extremely painful. Will I get more comfortable the more I try it, or is this the way I will always be?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Louise, in my view yoga is about a great deal more than sitting in lotus - if you practice regularly you may never achieve lotus (people that force it very often experience knee injuries) but you will increase your flexibility, soothe the mind and alleviate stress as well as delivering a myriad of other benefits to yourself. Having said that you may also find that a regular and careful practice allows you to achieve lotus but I would encourage you to approach the physical practice from the stand point of developing a greater awareness of the body and just be happy with any and all improvements or changes you experience without setting finite goals. You will only be the way you are if you choose to do nothing.
Chris

1
Posted by: . | 2004/03/04

You will become more comfortable as you continue your practice. The key is to ask your yoga instructor to modify the position to make it more comfortable for you. Or gently continue to work at your flexibility without pushing yourself. It will take yime, but it will happen. The more often you practice the faster you'll become flexible. Also remember to breathe deeply as you push into a pose. And relax.
Godd luck.

Reply to .