Question
Posted by: New jogger | 2007/02/24

Stiff back after jogging

I am a 50, and have been training at the gym for the past year, under the guidance of a personal trainer for 2 sessions per week. I work out on my own another 3 to 4 sessions. I have lost 20kg in the last year, and feel great.
I have recently joined a jogging group. We have been meeting twice a week, (now upped to 3x). We are still walking mainly with some jog/ walk intervals (increasing the jogging time each week).
The problem is that I am experiencing stiffness in my lower back, especially early in the morning, or if I have been sitting for a while.
How should I deal with this?

I think that the safest thing to do is to see a doctor or a physio and find out what the cause is. It could be a number of things. One possibility is muscle tightness, possibly caused by the running you do the evening before, which might only be felt the next morning. It could be a number of muscles too - the hamstrings, the back etc. Having said all this, it could be weakness of the muscles in the abdominals and maybe you need to consider doing some Pilates every week. That might help. Finally, could be caused by some sort of running mechanics, like a leg length difference, or something related to that. But I just have to emphasize that it could be a number of things, and so the first thing that is needed is a diagnosis so that it can be treated appropriately. I doubt it's anything major, and it sounds like you have done all the right things so far, and so I suspect it's something small, like stretching or strengthening the muscles. But I woudl see someone about it and nip it in the bud before it's major.