Posted by: james | 2008/09/08


I had protected intercourse in less than 48 hours ago, but afterall it was not so " protected"  as the latex protection used tore. Contraceptives were used immediately to avoid unwanted pregnancies but my primary concern is STI' s. Do I have to go and see a doctor immediately and how long after intercourse could an STI be detected? What are the normal symptoms of such?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

If you have unprotected sex with someone who does have an STI, then any amount of skin on skin exposure, or exchange of fluids could theoretically result in infection. If you are concerned about this, put your mind at ease and have a sexual health screen.

Common symptoms of an STI would include: discharge from the penis, burning when urinating, blisters or warts on the penis. Some STI's are, however, 'silent' and can only be detected by specific tests...

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: james | 2008/09/10

Thanks for the advice doc, I went to consult with my GP and he put me on a treatment for five days, fortunately I don' t have any of the symptoms but just felt the need to play it safe and get some medication. He only took my blood pressure though, no tests were taken as a result of the fact that I didn' t have any of the symptoms mentioned above. Is it safe to consider myself " safe" ?

Reply to james

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.