Question
Posted by: Ling | 2004/01/05

Steroids and pregnancy

Please can you give me some advice? My sister in law had a horrible pregnancy. She was sick from day one; she could not take any vitamins and was given steroids during her pregnancy. She retained so much water and is still battling to loose it nearly a year latter. My first question is that I am worried that her health has been effect from the pregnancy? And her beautiful daughter never sits still; she can go 3 days without any sleep. She does not sleep more than an hour at a time and is the busiest baby I have ever seen. She had preclumpsy (spelling?) while she was pregnant and is lucky to be alive. But what have the effects of the steroids had on her and her daughter?

If she had the steroids to mature the baby's lungs, this would have been just two doses usually 24 hours apart. This would have had no longterm effect on her or the child.