Question
Posted by: ANIMAL LOVER | 2003/12/04

STERILIZATION

I HEARD ADVICE THAT YOU CAN USE A HALF OF A DISPRIN TABLET TO PREVENT PREGNANCY IN CATS AND DOGS!! I THINK IT IS VERY HARMFULL!! IS THERE A CONTRACEPTION IN A TABLET FORM FOR DOMESTIC PETS AVAILABLE??

Hi ANIMAL LOVER
Please don't give Disprins to cats - human medication can be very dangerous to animals, especially cats!!!! Sometimes Disprin is recommended for dogs with arthritis and to help with pain and temperature relief, but never to prevent pregnancy! The best contraceptive is neutering, but there are also chemical contraceptives which the vet must administer. They are expensive and usually only used by breeders who want to postpone the mating to the next season. Castration (for males) and spaying (for females) is really the only long term solution and while it may look expensive, can save a lot of pain, heartache and money which result from pregnancies. Please re-post your question if you want the vet to answer more fully.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST