Posted by: Elra | 2007/07/13


I have a lovely 6 month old labbie girl and a 18 month male (also lab). Neither have been sterilised. I definetely do not want to breed with them - well, at least not with her - and now have to decide on either sterilising her - obviously asap..or the injection - maybe a once-off...?
two questions:
1. is the contraceptive injection for bitches really that harmful - ito cancer at a later stage? (My older lab bitch died last year - cancer of the mammary gland and she had the injections as a young dog)
2.Is it an actual sterilization or a historectomy (scuse the 'human' terminology!) (My older dog had a full historectomy at about age 5)
I really do not want to subject her to a big op such as historectomy during our wet CPT winter - rather in summer when I will be on leave as well and able to take better care after the op.
Your comments would be appreciated!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Best to have both of them neutered. It has been shown that if bitches are neutered before they have their first "season", they will be 200% less likely to get mammary tumours. Older bitches often develop uterine related diseases that can be exacerbated by the use of "contraceptive treatment" (tablets or injections). Older male dogs can develop testicular cancer and prostate problems if not neutered.

In males the testicles are removed and in females the uterus and ovaries are removed.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Elra | 2007/07/14

thank you - I have decided to do it this coming Friday! She is very boisterous and plays/swims a lot - so I will have to keep big brother separate for a day or two.

Reply to Elra
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/13

Spaying is something a healthy dog takes completely in its stride - it's no big deal, there is no need to fuss about it being winter or anything. It isn't painful, the only thing you have to do is make sure the wound looks clean and that she doesn't interfere with the stitches.

Not spaying a dog exposes her to various ills, the biggest of which is cancer. If you know you're not going to breed (good, well done!) then get her spayed, and save yourself and her a whole load of trouble. See if you can book her on a Friday, so you'll be able to keep an eye on her for the weekend. No need for further precautions or fuss.

The not eating from the night before isn't so much to prevent nausea, by the way - it's to remove any possibility of regurgitated food/fluid getting into the lungs.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2007/07/13

I would really recommend spaying her. i have three labradors and both my females were spayed at 6 months and recovered. within 2 days.the day after the op I kept them seperate from the male and then slowly introduced them back to male. I was able to monitor them. If you cant be there then kennel the female after the operation. If you leave her until she's on heat then the op is much more expensive. Do the op on a Friday so you can spen the weeken home with her and she will be fine by the Monday.

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/07/13

With my Husky Cross we made the mistake of using the injection......(husband wanted her to stay whole)
when we finally had her fixed she suffered much more than my other female dog who was fixed at six months.

She was in pain, couldn't understand why she felt that way vomitted etc her reaction was very bad. Where as the other dog recovered in about a day. She slept alot, but was running around the next morning.

i would rather suggest fixing your dog.
if you don't want to do it this winter rather speak to your vet about a specially made 'panty' for bitches in season, or speak to your breeder, alot of them use them to prevent accidental coverings.

the operation isn't that 'big' and the younger you do it the better.

just make sure the night before at about 2200 that she does not get into any food or water, this causes nausea after the operation.

good luck

good luck

Reply to Blaah

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.