Question
Posted by: RT | 2005/01/05

Sterilisation or the pil

Im 7 weeks pregnant with my second child and would like to get some advice.Should i go for sterilisation with my Ceasarian or should i go on the pil again after the baby is born. Im 21 and we dont want any more children. Please could you give me the negative and positive points of both

You are very young to be considering sterilisation. Life circumstances change and you might regret your decision later. In fact the Medical Council guidelines say that sterilisations not be done in women under 30 years. You would be better off using either the Pill or injection.

4
Posted by: Dory | 2005/01/05

I am 28, 19 weeks pregnant with my second one, first one is 5yrs. I was on nuristerate since after the birth of my firstborn. Seven month after stopping it I fell pregnant - I now want to be sterilised. My doc says it is fine, he will only perform the sterilisation with the Ceasarian if baby is 100%. Being sterilised is not the end to being a mom again. These procedures can be reversed if you wish to do so later on. It is just safer and to me more effective. I originally wanted a hystorectomy but the doc said I too young. I do NOT want more kids ever..... Being on the pill the chances of falling pregnant is greater that being on the injection. With some if you have to take an antibiotic it cancells out the effectiveness of the pill thus your changes of falling pregnant is good - especially during winter when most people tend to get sick. With me being on the injection I struggled extremely to keep my weight stable and even trying to loose some kilos was very difficult - not all of us are the same. The injection to me is more effective than the pill both have pros and cons.

It is however your call, speak to your partner and the doc and then make you desicion.

Good Luck.

Reply to Dory
Posted by: Golly | 2005/01/05

RT,

Sterilisation or using the pill is not the only options open to you. You can opt for the 2 month injection as Kippie suggested, but there is also the Mirena contraceptive device which will prevent pregnancy for 5 years after being placed in your cervix. It has the added advantage of eliminating your periods. Then your life partner may want to consider a vasectomy which is a much smaller procedure than sterilisation.

You are to young to take such a drastic step such as sterilisation. Anything can happen and you never know - you might want to have another child some day in future. Ask your gynae about the alternatives.

Reply to Golly
Posted by: S'thololo | 2005/01/05

Hi i think uuu must speak to uur Gyne/Doc about that cause of uur age i will be 31 on April and have 4 kids so my doc said iam still young for STERI ,must wait for 35,so now iam using acondom cause i've got a problem with pills.I think uu must chat with uur DOC, the advice will be better.pls enjoy uur preggies,and rest.thanx S'thololo.

Reply to S'thololo
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/05

I was also given the option after my 3rd child 7 months ago, but sterilisation is very drastic to me and I have opted to go on the 2 month injection - nuristerate, which worked for me in the past.
I had terrible migraines on the pill.
Rather look at other options - that is my opinion..

Good luck!

Reply to Kippie