Question
Posted by: Ann | 2005/12/12

Sterilisation

My youngest is a year old and I'm not on any contraception!
Please could you let me know what my options are.
If sterilisation is the best and reversible as I'm not too sure if I would like any further children. I've take the pill have found it makes me very ill. The injection all does the same. I fell pregant with an IUD in previously, so don't know if that is a good idea.
Please could you offer me some sane advise.
Ann.

Dear Ann,
Don't go for sterilization if you think you'd need to reverse it someday. There is a new IUD called Mirena, which has a progesterone coat - much more reliable and the progesterone only works in the uterus and not in the whole body like the pill and injection. Other options are condoms, diaphragm and spermicide. There are so many pills on the market, ask your gyne if you should not just consider a different kind of contraceptive pill?