Question
Posted by: Nolene | 2004/11/11

sterilisation

I am pregnant with my second child, baby is due in April next year. I am 33 years old, don't want any more children and want my gynae to sterilise me directly after the birth.

My questions:
1) Is it possible to do a sterilisation after a normal delivery?
2) Would there be any side effects to sterilisation (i.e. would I have to go on HRT or something?)

Thanks for the input.

Nolene

1) You can have a sterilisation after a normal delivery. This will involve a small cut under your navel, usually done the day after delivery.
2) Complications, like with any surgery, are anaesthetic complications, bleeding, infection and damage to adjacent strcutures. These risks are small. Many women have heavier periods afterwards, but HRT is not necessary as your ovaries carry on functioning normally. Ther is a small failure rate of about 0.5%