Question
Posted by: Step Master | 2007/08/01

Step Master or Stationary Bike

I want to buy either a Step Master or Stationary Bike for use at home. Which will give me the best workout?

HI there

Difficult to say, you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each, and the winner will ultimately be decided by which you enjoy the most. Remember, the key is to do exercise often and for long enough to have an effect, so that means aiming for maybe 45 minutes, four times a week. That might be very difficult to do on one of those machines - stepping for 45 minutes might be very boring for you, but then so might cycling. So you kind of have to make a call on which is more likely to be stimulating and exciting for you to do.

That sounds basic, but the ultimate key to success is enjoyment, without a doubt. In terms of comparing them physiologically, I'm leaning towards the cycling, because it uses a larger muscle mass - the stepper is really good on the calves and only slightly for everything else. The cycling is alittle more whole body, which gives it a slight edge. But not enough to overcome a lack of enjoyment, if for example, you hate cycling!

So go for enjoyment!