Question
Posted by: JANE | 2008/01/24

STENT

Hi Dr Bets,

Thank you for your reply. I really do not know why he did not give me anethestic. I told him he was hurting me and he carried on. He is a very very good gastroenteroligst but he does not explain anything to me. I am, I suppose a doctors nightmare, I want to know why, whatfor, when. On the phone he is very short, and he does not return calls. Now my question is:

Can I not just leave this stent in? I am going to the toilet fine and the thought of him "nicking" me and another operation really freaks me out. Why can this stent just not stay where it is? I know that people have stents in there heart and they are left in? Also, is it easy to nick somebody when having a stent put in?

Dear Jane
It is your right as patient to ask why, what for and when. It is your body after all! ( and you only have one to keep you until you’re 80 or whatever:-) I think you should also get a second opinion from another gastro-enterologist – you are entitled to it. I also think you must be honest with your doctor and tell him that the idea of a possible second abdominal operation freaks you out! It may cause him to be extra careful in whatever he does next. Afterwards I thought that maybe the reason for not giving you anaesthetic is because it would not have been safe to do so – due to lung problems or something?