Question
Posted by: Joy | 2008/06/03

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Dr Oz always talks about steel cut oatmeal.
What is this?
Is it different to Jungle oats. Can we get it in South Africa?
Joy

Dear Joy
I am not a food technologist, but I suspect that 'steel-cut' oatmeal refers to the type of machinery used to mill the oats to make them fine. You could contact Tiger Food Brands on their Customer Careline: 0860-102-056 to find out if they use the same process as in the USA to produce Jungle oats.

2
Posted by: steven | 2013/04/30

have a look at the picture in the link and I am sure it will confirm that jungle oats is definitely not steel cut oat but rather definitely rolled oats http://coachlevi.com/nutrition/rolled-oats-steel-cut-oats-difference/

Reply to steven
Posted by: Soo | 2008/06/08

Good news! I have just discovered that Steel Cut Oats are available here in South Africa, at Woolworths. They are found on the shelves with the Organic range of products and are labelled Organic Wholegrain Oats. The side of the box confirms that Wholegrain Oats are also known as Steel Cut Oats - they are delicious, with a great nutty taste and texture.

Reply to Soo