Question
Posted by: SmallPaul | 2008/02/04

Steam rooms

Hi, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic and have alot of problems with apathy. I've been doing alot of reading on steam rooms and how it can detoxify the body through perspiration. Apparently it can remove up to 30 percent of built up toxins in one session including toxins like nicotine. My question is whether this detoxification can help with my illness together with the anti-psychotics I'm taking. Also if possible could you tell me if this detoxification can also help with removing nicotine and tar from my lungs?

Hello SP,
Interesting idea !
Its a well recognized symptom within schizophrenia, that apathy and related problems can become difficult. Theyre often described as the "Negative Symptoms" compared with Positive Symptoms. Hallucinations would be a positive symptom, not because they're good or welcome, but they represent something ADDED to one's state of mind, something extra though unwelcome ; whereas negative symptoms like apathy, inertia, lack of social interactions, etc, are negative in the sense of being an absence of something that would usually be present, rather than the presence of something that isnt usually there. ( I hope I[m explaining this relative clearly ! )
You mention smoking, and it has been found that people with schizophrenia tend to be far more likely to smoke, although this is harmful to them physically, and more recent research suggests that this may be because some aspects of nicotine may be stimulant and reduce the apathy type symptoms.
I have seen no reliable, good quality research on beneficial effects of steam rooms / sauna, and from what I have seen, this method is NOt likely to remove any known toxins, as most of these just don't get into the sweat. In fact, as one would sweat out a lot of water, it is possible than any actual toxins within the body could become more concentrated.
Earlier treatments for schizophrenia tended to be much more effective at controlling "positive" symptoms ( like relieving one of hallucinations and delusions ) than they were at helping "negative" symptoms like apathy. More modern medications can be more effective at reducing apathy and social withdrawal, as can some psychological counselling, helping one to become more involved in good activities and gradually increasing one's activity levels.

1
Posted by: bigbarry | 2008/02/04

brooklax does the same thing!

Reply to bigbarry