Question
Posted by: TERRIFIED MOM | 2007/07/11

STEALING/ANOTHER POSSIBLE ADHD SIGN

I saw there are some warning signs that my child could possible be a case of ADHD as she has had at least six of the symtoms. Have now made an appointment for her to be assessed but was to my shock informed by the aftercare today she was in a shop and was playing with a balloon and almost walked out of shop without paying for it

Firstly, there is nothing to be terrified about. ADHD is a possibility, of course, and is both over-diagnosed, and under-diagnosed, so I hope your appointment is with a suitable specialist in paediatrics or child psychiatry / psychology, who will be able to assess her properly, and discuss the results and recommendations with you.
As for the child nearly not paying for a ballon in a shop, that's a bit worrying, but it is easy to do when distracted, and I'm sure it happens often to entirely honest adults as well as children, quite apart from the dishonest who deliberately steal. Tinka's response makes a lot of sense.

5
Posted by: STEALING/POSSIBLE ADHD | 2007/07/11

Tinka - thanks alot I really do feel better. I was not sure on should I give her a punishment (take away watching TV) give a hiding or just talk calmly and explain exactly what could happen in a worse situation. Yes I am taking her to a occupational therapist, and will take her for more assessing if necessary. The symtoms vary but has become worse in the last six months. She was 8 in March. Cant sit still. Always wants to start first in any game. Makes careless mistakes. Forgets stuff at aftercare or at school all the time. Sighs when given a simple task. Talks back and wants to have the last say. Interrupts conversations. Keeps complaining of stomach ache. Some nights jumps up crying and when I want to comfort her she is still fast asleep and can not remember any of this in the mornings. Always getting hurt.

Reply to STEALING/POSSIBLE ADHD
Posted by: Maria | 2007/07/11

Take a deep breath terrified mom. ADHD children are impulsive and leaving a shop without paying might be an indication of ADHD, but don't think of it as theft unless you know that she meant to take it without paying. She probably just got distracted, it happens to all of us. ADHD is not that common in girls, what symptoms does she have? And how old is she?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: anon | 2007/07/11

sorry but what is ADHD

Reply to anon
Posted by: Tinka | 2007/07/11

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Reply to Tinka
Posted by: Tinka | 2007/07/11

I'm not a thief and on a few occasions almost walked out of a shop with something under my arm or in my hand, while my mind was elsewhere, not having paid. This can happen to anybody and one incident does not make her a thief.

Children under the age of 5/6 do not understand the concept of not being able to have what they want or other people's property and it's not unusual for a child, even without ADHD, to "steal". You need to have a calm talk to your child, without judging her, and explain about property and not taking what doesn't belong to her. If she does it again, explain the same thing, calmly again.

Children with untreated ADHD, sometimes show signs of CD (Conduct Disorder) when they reach puberty of which stealing is a symptom. It's good to hear that you're taking her to a psychologist for the other symptoms of possible ADHD.

Reply to Tinka