Question
Posted by: Ali Baba | 2005/07/25

STD's and breast feeding

If a women who is breastfeeding contracts and STD like syphillis ,gonorrhoea and Chlamydia trachomatis can it be transmitted to the baby via the breast milk

These are not transmitetd through breast milk, but remember that HIV can be.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/25

This is an intersting question, I'm looking forward to gynaedocs response.

Milk is sometimes referred to as the "little blood" as the process its made by is similar to the way our bodies make blood. Also, things that get into the blood stream can get into the breast milk (nutrients from food, alcohol, nicotine etc). I would assume that the std would show up in the breast milk (and blood and saliva and urine) but wouldn't have a clue if it could be transmitted this way. HIV can be transmitted through the breastmilk though, so I suppose it is possible.

Reply to Purple