Posted by: student | 2004/10/04


A few months ago I developed slightly red and inflamed areas on the 'head' of my penis, which caused me little discomfort. These dissappeared afre about 8 weeks. I recently did a bit of reading up and have since become increasingly concerned that it may be syphilis. I have had protected sex once, but have had oral sex several times. I would like to know what the symptoms of syphilis are and what I need to do if I am exhibiting these, and what treatment is needed

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Student, the primary lesion (chancre) generally evolves and heals within 4 to 8 weeks in untreated patients. After inoculation, a red papule quickly erodes to form a painless ulcer with an indurated base that, when abraded, exudes a clear serum containing numerous spirochetes. The regional lymph nodes usually enlarge painlessly and are firm, discrete, and nontender. Chancres occur on the penis, anus, and rectum in men and on the vulva, cervix, and perineum in women. Chancres may also occur on the lips or the oropharyngeal or anogenital mucous membranes. Rarely, they occur on the hands or other parts of the body, often producing minimal symptoms that are ignored. If you still think that it might be syphilis the best would be to have your blood tested because if it is not treated properly it may have dire consequences. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.