Question
Posted by: student | 2004/10/04

STD???

A few months ago I developed slightly red and inflamed areas on the 'head' of my penis, which caused me little discomfort. These dissappeared afre about 8 weeks. I recently did a bit of reading up and have since become increasingly concerned that it may be syphilis. I have had protected sex once, but have had oral sex several times. I would like to know what the symptoms of syphilis are and what I need to do if I am exhibiting these, and what treatment is needed

Student, the primary lesion (chancre) generally evolves and heals within 4 to 8 weeks in untreated patients. After inoculation, a red papule quickly erodes to form a painless ulcer with an indurated base that, when abraded, exudes a clear serum containing numerous spirochetes. The regional lymph nodes usually enlarge painlessly and are firm, discrete, and nontender. Chancres occur on the penis, anus, and rectum in men and on the vulva, cervix, and perineum in women. Chancres may also occur on the lips or the oropharyngeal or anogenital mucous membranes. Rarely, they occur on the hands or other parts of the body, often producing minimal symptoms that are ignored. If you still think that it might be syphilis the best would be to have your blood tested because if it is not treated properly it may have dire consequences. Good luck.