Question
Posted by: Annette | 2007/03/23

Staying fit after 12 week/10km program

Hi, I have been doing a 12 week/ 10 km running program and I am in week 10 now and worked very hard to reach this point. I just want to know what happens after completing the twelve weeks? How do I keep my body fit for running 10 kilometers?

Hi Annette

The good news is that once you get to a level of fitness, staying there requires only about three quarters of the training it took to reach that point in the first place. So your current programme probably has you doing an average of 30 to 40 minutes, four or five days a week (This is a guess). So that means that you just need to maintain this in order to keep your fitness levels as they are. So one option is to just repeat the final two weeks of the programme, that would work, though it may become quite routine. Perhaps you can even consider moving up in distance, so where you are currently doing 35 minutes, perhaps you can do 30 minutes. But I woudl not do this just yet, I would instead concentrate on getting better at what you are doing already. So in otherwords, your current 30 minutes can improve - you can run faster, or feel better running at the same speed.

Lastly, I think what will be really important is to set another goal - we are lost without good goals and so perhaps you can start to aim for a 10 km race sometime in the next month or two? That would give you the incentive to continue. Otherwise, I would go for joining a club that does weekly runs - most do two runs a week and cater for all levels of runner. The social aspect is also a great benefit to doing this. So that's another option.

Good luck and keep it up.

Ross