Question
Posted by: MOE | 2008/01/15

STAY AWAKE LATER

Hi Everyone. I just want to know my daughter has a good routine of bathing at 7 and going to bed at 8. She is 12 and asked if from this year she can stay up untill 9. How does a person know from what age to let them stay up later???

Expert ImageTeen expert

The only way to discover if this is an ok bed time is to try it. If she seems too tired in the morning or really exhausted when she comes home from school you may need to make it a bit earlier.

Children and teens need a lot of sleep (8-10 hours as an average) but it also depends on the indvidual child. Try it and see what works for her.

4
Posted by: Karen | 2008/01/19

Hey Yip Yip, I bet you do badly at school !!!

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Yip Yip | 2008/01/18

What boring parents you all are ...

Reply to Yip Yip
Posted by: G-Dad | 2008/01/17

The rule with my kids, 8 PM bed time during school days, weekends and holidays stay up until 9PM, when they start high school then we will review the time and let them stay up until 9PM during school days.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: Whena | 2008/01/16

I think 8 is a reasonable time for a 12 year old to go to bed- with them having school the following day.

Maybe you can let her stay up a later on a Friday and Saturday as a concession

Reply to Whena