Question
Posted by: Meliss | 2007/12/05

Stationary Bike

I'm 25, 1.68m tall and weigh 55kg. I have just bought a stationary bike to help tone my legs and thighs.

How many times a week and for how long do you reccomend I exercise each day? I have had the bike for a week and currently doing 20mins in the morning and 25mins in the afternoon (about 40km total a day, every day)

Thanks!

Hi Meliss

I'd say start out with 4 times a week, so that you can alternate rest days with exercise days. That may seem unnecessary to you right now, considering that you're going well so far, but the way you're training, you're doing two sessions a day, and getting only half the rest you might need in. So my concern is that you'll soon pick up an injury from doing too much too soon.

So while it might be a little too safe, that would be my suggestion - just back off, keep doing your 45 minutes a day, but only every second day. Then perhaps in 2 or 3 weeks, you can increase this and begin doing it two days on, one day off. And then eventually, you'll be up to 6 days a week, where you can probably stay.

The other thing you would aim for is to get one session a day in, rather than two, and make that session 45 to 60 minutes long. There's not a massive difference between two sessions and one session, but it's big enough that you shoudl probably be aiming for that eventually.

Ross