Question
Posted by: Cappy | 2007/05/08

STATIC ELECTRICITY

I read your article on BIg Hair and Lightening Bolts because I find it very unpleasant in winter (sometimes summer) to open and close my garage door, touch people, my car, etc. I loved your tips and am going to use some of your suggestions. My questions is that we have removed our carpet and installed Elf Laminated Flooring (Laminate floors consist of a hard density fibre board (HDF) made out of saw dust or very fine wood fibres, adhesives and a decor paper as the top layer. The laminate boards are manufactured in very large sheets, then cut into smaller boards so they will look like real wood boards. The decor paper is protected by an overlay that is wear resistant.) and I can feel the increase in electricity around me. I thought wood is not a conductor of electricity and is leather or rubber soled shoes better?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Wood floors usually don't cause static problems, but there are other products being used in the top layer of your flooring. A laminate, or even varnish on a wooden floor, can increase static build-up. Leather soles should help. You can also try wearing cotton socks or going barefoot around the house - which has the added advantage of protecting your floors!